Wednesday, November 08, 2006

"the bogeyman"

I have tried to make these little chats about Parkinson's light reading. No need to worry loved ones; certainly don't want to betray any self-pity, and if I can't keep my spirits up, who will? But, occasionally, like tonight, when afflicted with some new and novel torture, I give in, ever so slightly, to despair. At these times I tend to view my illness in very personal terms. It's as if there's another person inside me - some evil, malicious monster intent on making my life miserable. I have named him, "The Petulant Stranger Within".
At times like this, I drag myself out of bed, make my way downstairs to my office, and fire up my blog. The hope is that the writing will cause me to become mentally exhausted, drag myself upstairs and fall asleep.
Hopefully, tomorrow will dawn and I will feel better. It's happened so often before; the prospect lightens my mood. And then it hits me. I probably won't even put this in my blog; I wouldn't want to tarnish my reputation as a happy-go-lucky guy.

Note: Normally, when I write something like this, under duress (so to speak), it doesn't end up in my blog. Last night, I accidentally clicked the "Publish" button instead of the "Save as Draft" button. I intended to either re-write it or more likely, delete it this morning. But wait! Am I fearful of revealing something about myself that I wouldn't want others to see? Weakness? Vulnerability? Or am I afraid I'll make someone else depressed? So I asked myself, "Who am I trying to protect?" No one who reads this little snippet will have their lives shattered upon hearing of my pain. Why not just tell it like it is. Life is not all peaches and cream.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your candor and am inspired by your attitude toward life. I see the wisdom in writing it out but not publishing it, but a dash of reality helps us all maintain perspective. It makes the fact that you maintain such a good attitude all the more impressive.

May God bless you and your family richly!

Iraandzelda said...

No, ALL the "Comments" lines do not have a yellow pen near it. Again, I've had to lower my privacy setting to "accept all cookies" for this "Leave Your Comments" to work. All else great!

IRA IRA IRA

Rosemary said...

My blog is, as much as I'm able, a daily journal, so I share the bad and the good. The people who read our blogs need to know that it's a nasty disease at best, and absolute torture at its worst, IMVHO.